Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Man charged with hate crimes in Maryland parking dispute killings -Zenith Profit Hub
Johnathan Walker:Man charged with hate crimes in Maryland parking dispute killings
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:09:27
A man accused of killing three people and Johnathan Walkerinjuring three others in June over a parking spot dispute outside a home in Maryland's capital city will face hate crime charges, prosecutors announced Monday.
Maryland prosecutors have filed hate crime charges against Charles Robert Smith, 43, who is accused of fatally shooting three Latino people on June 11 in a residential area of Annapolis, Maryland. Smith was initially charged with second-degree murder but according to an indictment returned by an Anne Arundel County grand jury on Friday, he now faces first-degree murder and hate-crime charges in the killings of Mario Mireles, his father Nicholas Mireles, and Christian Segovia.
The 42-count indictment includes three counts of first-degree murder, three counts of race crime resulting in death, and six counts each of attempted first-degree murder, among other charges, the Anne Arundel County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement Monday.
Smith remains in jail without bond, according to the state's attorney's office, and his next court appearance was scheduled for July 31. Two of Smith's initial lawyers are no longer representing him, and it was unclear Monday who his new attorney was.
Maryland’s hate crime law applies to crimes that are motivated either in whole or in substantial part to another person’s race, color, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability or national origin. It enables prosecutors to add years to a sentence, and financial penalties.
Smith faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole if he is convicted of first-degree murder.
An 'interpersonal dispute'
Annapolis Police Edward Jackson had previously said the shooting stemmed from an “interpersonal dispute" and involved two weapons − a long handgun and a semi-automatic handgun.
The six people who were shot were attending a large party at the Mireles' home when an argument broke out between one of the victims and Smith's family over a parking issue, according to police charging documents.
While arguing with Shirley Smith, her son, Charles Smith, returned home and confronted Mario Mireles, the documents said. The argument turned physical and Smith pulled out a gun and shot at Mireles and Segovia.
Smith "then stood over Mario Mireles and shot him several more times," the document adds. He then retrieved a rifle from his house and started firing through a window at people who were trying to help the victims.
Smith fatally shot Nicolas Mireles, and wounded Rosalina Segovia, Paul Johnnson, and Enner Canales-Hernandez, police said. When police arrived at the scene, Smith surrendered and told responding officers he shot the victims because they fired at his house.
But according to the charging documents, none of the witnesses interviewed saw any of the victims with a firearm.
Alleged shooter had history with victims
According to court documents, Smith's family and the victim's family have had a history of disputes.
The families have lived on the same street for years and have gone to court over allegations of racial slurs against one of the victims. In September 2016, Mario Mireles sought a peace order petition and accused Shirley Smith of harassing him and their Black neighbors since he was a child.
In the petition, Mireles wrote that while he was washing his car in front of his house, Smith drove fast by him about an "arm length away," saying he believed she was "targeting" him with her car. Smith also sought a peace order petition and accused Mireles of hitting her car with a large wet towel or blanket.
The judge denied both their petitions.
Contributing: Natalie Neysa Alund, USA TODAY; Associated Press
veryGood! (344)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- The Essentials: 'Wish' star Ariana DeBose shares her Disney movie favorites
- Texas man who set fire to an Austin synagogue sentenced to 10 years
- OPEC+ suppliers struggle to agree on cuts to oil production even as prices tumble
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Kelsea Ballerini Details Sex Life With Chase Stokes
- Total GivingTuesday donations were flat this year, but 10% fewer people participated in the day
- Travis Barker’s Son Landon Reveals He Hasn’t Held Baby Brother Rocky Yet
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- How one Oregon entrepreneur is trying to sell marijuana out of state, legally
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Kim’s sister rejects US offer of dialogue with North Korea and vows more satellite launches
- Opponents want judge to declare Montana drag reading ban unconstitutional without requiring a trial
- Cybersecurity agency warns that water utilities are vulnerable to hackers after Pennsylvania attack
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Cher Reveals Her Honest Thoughts About Aging
- Retro role-playing video games are all the rage — here's why
- Black employees file federal discrimination suit against Chicago utility
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
From tapas in Vegas to Korean BBQ in Charleston, see Yelp's 25 hottest new restaurants
Electric vehicles have almost 80% more problems than gas-powered ones, Consumer Reports says
The Excerpt podcast: 12 more hostages held by Hamas freed in Gaza
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
South Korean farmers rally near presidential office to protest proposed anti-dog meat legislation
Officer and suspect killed in a shootout after a traffic stop in southwest Colorado
'Sex and the City' star Cynthia Nixon goes on hunger strike to call for cease-fire in Gaza